Sunday, June 3, 2007

The ghosts are calling....




Well I've been flat out as usual in the studio..I guess I should begin this blog with something about me so here it is.....
I'm living on an island, and am quite happily detached from the mainland of Australia and living the true bohemian existance-
My studio is the same size as my entire upstairs living area, and it is filled with a constant cycle of blank white canvas/ painted canvas/ blank white canvas- which tends to grow down there like some mysterious ghost entity and it is my duty to fill up those white spaces by days end. I'm painting between 3 to 6 paintings on around 12-36 canvases a day- putting finishing touches on them over the following days as I start the next days work. It's a systematic life I've come to live and breathe and love more than anything I could have ever possibly imagined a few years ago.


All this water around me- the breezes are amazing. The smell of salt and sea. The birds my neighbourhood buddies tweeting at me all day. Some of them are such freaks, haha, running along in the dark of night- no street lights here. You hear them and if you're in your car they come running along and end up in front of you like some kind of pteradactyl trying to set flight. Weird creatures. I have no idea what they are.
AH the ghosts- I painted 6 on six of them yesterday. Amazing how many i've now done over the past few years. What is it? 6-700 pieces? Countless. I figured out that over this 12 months I will have painted 1000 in a year AT least. Crazy. thats up to 6000 canvases in total. Am I insane? I was reading about Egon Shiele yesterday- in his short career spanning around 10 years, he painted 3-400 Oils- and did around 1000 sketches. And that was considered to be phenominal. I really am crazy!
Well, that's it for now, back to work.The white ghosts are calling....
Sej xxx